“You shall therefore impress these words of mine on your heart and on your soul; and you shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. You shall teach them to your sons, talking of them when you sit in your house and when you walk along the road and when you lie down and when you rise up. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates, so that your days and the days of your sons may be multiplied on the land which the LORD swore to your fathers to give them, as long as the heavens remain above the earth." Deuteronomy 11:18-21
Why we home school:
After a plethora of behavioral, emotional and learning difficulties in public school and with their adoption coming up quickly we began praying about homeschooling for the 2012-2013 year. We felt a tug more and more that we needed to, then when Risa failed kindergarten, Mirabel failed 3rd grade, and Anthony got suspended we knew they needed specialized care and one-on-one attention.
Just to air it out, we are a bible-based family. We seek to glorify God and please Him. We seek after wisdom, knowledge and purity. We guard against the world and the empty promises it offers. We do not believe every myth and theory, we seek evidence and truth. We strive after structure and self-control not chaos and self-indulgence.
Our General Everyday Schedule:
Let me first say we kinda do what we want. We go to the park, library, pool, thrift stores, grocery shopping, farmer's market, field trips, run errands etc. We have Tuesday CC classes, Thursday morning bible study, Friday afternoon mommy/home school group, Doctor and dentist appointments, and opportunities to serve and minister. Some weeks we are out more than we are home, but when we are home this is the schedule.
8:00am - mom's devotional and coffee time
8:45am - kids begin to get up and ready for the day
9:00am - 20 min of Jurisdictions (this means chores):
- Mom = sweep and mop tile and wood floors (kitchen, foyer, dining room and hallway), wipe down kitchen counters, get daily laundry started.
- Anthony = bathroom (rotation list, a different part cleaned daily), take trash and recyclables out, take dogs out.
- Mirabel = vacuum (rotation of living room and parent's room, hallway and kid's rooms) and parent's bathroom.
- Risa = Gather trash, make parent's bed and feed dogs.
- Titus and Maggie = quiet play-time in room or be little helpers
9:20am - 3 oldest kids walk 2 dogs while mom gets babies ready for the day
9:40am - breakfast, always cereal :)
10:00am - Devotion, Bible lesson, Character Trait (Character Sketches) or Catechism memory (example: Q:"What is a man's primary purpose?" A:"A man's primary purpose is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.") Click here for book.
10:30am - start school We started Classical Conversations this year!
- Anthony, Mirabel and Risa = Classical Conversations Foundations material memory. We may write, read, play games, make crafts, draw, color, watch videos, anything to get the material in their memory! Then, 20 min piano practice. Anthony and Mirabel also have Essentials, Institute for Excellence in Writing and Teaching Textbooks work to accomplish.
- Titus and Maggie = bible story, flashcards, potty-training, coloring at table quietly while I teach, felt-board play, play-time in living room with a Preschool Prep flashcard DVD.
12:30-1:30pm - lunch (most kids are done with school by lunch)
1:30pm - 4:00pm - little ones naptime, daddy gets home (best part of day!) and big kids finish school and begin having fun!
5:30pm - Family dinner
6:00pm - 8:00pm - Family time (read, play games, go on a walk, bible story act-out, one-on-one ALERT cadet time, family worship)
8:00pm - Kid's bed time (quiet reading time in bed then lights out at 9:30pm). Mommy/Daddy time!
We don't have it completely figured out yet and probably never will! But we are in this together!
Resources (I will add more as I remember or come across them):
Switched-On SchoolHouse Answers in Genesis Preschool Prep Teaching Textbooks Math
ALERT Cadet Training Heart, Teaching Minds Catechisms Institute for Excellence in Writing Classical Conversations Youtube Playlists (Classical Conversations and Educational)
Posted by Shannon
Soli Deo gloria - Glory to God alone